Cyberduck vs. Alternatives for Cloud Storage and FTP

I’m using Cyberduck to move files between local project folders, cloud storage, and an FTP server, and switching destinations is getting awkward. I have 17 project folders with similar names, so I keep reopening connections to check that I’m uploading to the right place. What alternatives to Cyberduck are worth comparing for this kind of workflow?

I’d prefer one application for both cloud storage and FTP rather than separate clients. Being able to distinguish saved connections and see pending transfers matters more to me than extra features. Can any alternatives keep separate destinations visible without making me open each connection again?

Remote storage showing up as a virtual hard drive was the detail that caught my attention first. I’d been thinking in terms of transfer clients, but the approach CloudMounter takes puts cloud storage, WebDAV, SFTP, and S3 buckets into Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder instead. That changes the choice a little: am I looking for a separate place to manage transfers, or do I want remote files alongside the file tools I already use?

After that, I separated the Windows options by how much work I’d want to automate. For scripting and automation, the Windows option WinSCP stood out as a reliable transfer client. I wouldn’t make interface polish the deciding factor if the real job was getting repeatable transfers done. A nice-looking window is not much help when the task belongs in a script.

Then I came back to the conventional dual-pane setup. If that was what I wanted, the free FileZilla option would cover Windows, Mac, and Linux. Its interface is dated, but that’s a tradeoff rather than an automatic disqualification. Familiar folder panes don’t need to win a design award to have a purpose.

On the Mac side, I put the native Transmit option in a different category: polished design, native speed, and a strong reputation for reliable S3, SFTP, and WebDAV transfers. That sounded more relevant if I wanted a dedicated Mac transfer app rather than mounted storage.

I’d test the distinction before picking a favorite. Use a disposable folder on your own connection, try the transfers you actually repeat, and compare working through mounted storage with using separate transfer panes. If scripting matters, test that workflow too, not just a manual upload.

Are you reconnecting the connections because they get disconnected, or you cannot figure out which project destination is required? I would separate those cases before replacing Cyberduck. For the similar name issue, I would name my shortcuts according to their purpose, such as LIVE – client storefront and ARCHIVE – client storefront, instead of renaming the folders. I will leave the actual project folders alone.

The mounted-drive approach would not be my first choice, but it is not a deal-breaker for me. I would go with the CloudMounter software on my Mac, as it has the option to set a short device name, which will be used in Finder’s sidebar as the computer’s connection name instead of the default one that includes CloudMounter. This is actually an essential detail for me, as I would desire to have distinct destination names for my connections rather than having each application branding its own name in the sidebar. (help.electronic.us)

I would prioritize having an unmistakable upload destination. Fewer clicks are better, but at the moment, I would even prefer to spend one click more on-demand opening the needed project instead of spending the same amount of time sending images to the wrong destination.

Moving an occasional file is different from repeatedly publishing a project folder. For the second case, I’d want the local folder and remote destination saved as a pair, rather than choosing each independently every time. Clear destination names help, but they don’t stop you from uploading files from the wrong local project.

That’s where I’d push back a little on @kernelpilot1528’s dual-pane point: two panes wouldn’t be enough for me. My deciding question would be whether opening a saved project puts both sides in the right place. Otherwise, you’ve changed the interface without removing much of the repetitive setup. I’d make that the requirement when comparing alternatives to Cyberduck, ahead of appearance.

I’d still reach for CloudMounter for occasional transfers, but I’m less keen on keeping a second set of connection details configured alongside Cyberduck. For your regular project work, I’d favor whichever setup removes the need to reconstruct the same source-and-destination pairing each time.

You haven’t mentioned whether multiple destinations must be kept active at the same time, which would have changed what I’d consider appropriate for a replacement. Opening the right folder is one problem, but keeping track of an upload while moving on to another project is a different one, and saved connections would not address that requirement for me.

I agree with @api_leo96 about saving the local and remote folders together, but I’d put transfer visibility alongside that requirement. Once a job starts, I want to see its destination without reopening the connection or guessing from the filename. With similar project names, a queue full of “images” and “index” entries wouldn’t tell me enough. I’d want the project label, remote path, and status available where I’m watching the work.

For your comparison, I’d use a few very specific checks:

  • Can you browse another destination without losing sight of the current transfer?
  • Can you distinguish completed, pending, and failed files for each job?
  • If something fails, can you retry that job without selecting the source and destination again?
  • Does the completion view tell you where the files went, rather than only that a transfer finished?

Those are requirements to be checked, not features I’d expect any particular client to have. Not features I’d want to find in my own tools, either, hence why mounted storage is not something I’d consider as an option to avoid having to have a separate transfer window. Have remote folders show up in your regular browsing interface sounds nice, but I would want a clear answer to the question ‘what’s waiting to upload’ before committing to that sort of workflow.

Unless your transfers always complete before you move on to a different project, in which case it’s not nearly as big of a concern and the saved-folder pairing would be better, and if you tend to leave things running while you do other work I’d make navigating the queue the primary screen. Something that avoids having to navigate through a couple extra windows but makes you re-open destinations to check if the transfer has finished doesn’t eliminate the inconvience.

The dated look isn’t the real issue with FileZilla. Its installer has a long history of bundling extra offers if you grab it from the wrong place, and by default it stores saved passwords in plain text. So calling the interface a simple tradeoff undersells what you’re actually signing up for. Worth locking down the master password option if you go that route.

On the mounted-storage side, I lean the opposite way from @vladthesprite. The thing I actually like about CloudMounter is that it lets you reach Google Drive or Dropbox without installing their own sync clients, so you’re not handing over disk space to a full local mirror of every project. That said, @api_leo96 is right that it doesn’t save a source-and-destination pair, so for the repeat-publish job it won’t remove the setup work. If most of your transfers finish before you switch projects, I’d honestly just tidy up bookmark names and stay put rather than swap tools.

Whether your local folders are the master copies or you edit files on both ends matters here. I like @api_leo96’s saved-pair idea, but I’d want that pairing to include the intended transfer direction. “These folders belong together” isn’t quite the same instruction as “publish this folder, and don’t touch my local files.”

For repeat publishing, my deciding factor would be a preview showing proposed changes, overwrites, and deletions before I approve changes. I’d test that using a file changed on each side and a file missing locally. A client saving me several clicks I deserve considerably less applause I now have to work out what copy I meant to keep. That would make more of a difference to my decision than whether destination appears in Finder or separate window.

Don’t judge a replacement by a demo with a nearly empty connection list. Saved folder pairs sound useful, but I’d load your whole project list before deciding whether switching is less awkward. A client that looks organized until you give it actual work hasn’t solved much.